Olivet Christian Church was founded in October of 1879 by members of Grafton Christian Church. The first service was held in a one-room school house in the Denbigh section of Newport News on November 2, 1879. There were eleven members present. The school house was renovated and dedicated on August 6, 1882. The first new building was dedicated on May 30, 1909. Fire destroyed this house of worship on February 21, 1948.
Ground breaking for another building at 14425 Old Courthouse Way was on August 19, 1948 and a new educational building was dedicated on August 16, 1964. Olivet persevered through a succession of buildings with both growth and setbacks – including nearly a year of no services between 1918 and 1919. The rapid growth in the late 90’s necessitated the expansion of our building and the addition of a new and larger worship center which was completed September 1, 2002.
In the Fall of 2004 Olivet was joined by Christ’s Church of the Peninsula, creating a new and growing congregation. In April 2016, Olivet moved to its new location at 86 Maxwell Lane. While Olivet’s history is rich with God’s blessings, we are focused on the future as we strive to bring glory to God and to bring lost people to salvation through Jesus Christ.